Monday, September 24, 2018

The body - 1

Well, this will be the most intensive part of the whole droid. The body is made up of several different parts to be printed and most of them needs 3-4 hours of printing (sometimes more).

Anyway the building is a quite linear task, so there should be no problems or at least they should be really few. 

My only concern is about ABS warping. With the new printer and the enclosure this has been quite reduced, but still visible in the biggest parts. I will surely need to make some post printing fixes...

That's what I have done until now...

The base and the first ring are the easiest parts to assemble:


I used acetone welding to join the parts and two components epoxy to fill the holes due to the warpings. I am waiting for a cheap 3D pen to arrive in the next days, so I can use it to fill every large hole.

The second ring is on the way and this is more or less the actual status:


The coin slots and the vents panel have already been sanded and sprayed with the filler. I will alternate from ring parts and some detail like these, depending on printing time.

Here is a small mod to open the charging port door using a servo:


The mechanism is a bit loosy, so I will use a small magnet to help keeping the door closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment