Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The dome - 1

The "easiest" part to print of this R2D2 is the dome. It's made up of several pieces that must be printed, glued together, sanded and painted. As I wrote in the introduction, there is a long post produtcion work to do if you want a good loking Astromech...

Started with the top part, with good result, but it's only the beginning...


As you can see, the surface is not perfect, but this will be fixed after the dome is complete.

Next I went on printing the rest of the dome, but with some odd result.
I am printing this droid using almost only ABS, the same material used in Lego pieces. It's a good material, but it warps easily when printing, so you may have a printed piece that does not match with other and can also contains cracks like this:


To reduce these issues I had to split the bigger parts into two smaller pieces. More printings and more joints, but in the end I got something good.

Here some photos of the progress in building the dome:


You can see that I used several different colors. This is not a problem as after the sanding process I will paint everyting. This way I can just use the available filaments without worrying about the color.
In the last two photos, the panels are kept in place by using adhesive tape as the must be painted separately from the dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment