Monday, January 1, 2018

Intro

Since the first Star Wars movie in 1977, when I was a child, one of my dreams was to built and Astromech. For years this was just a dream, even if I followed several times the progresses of other people on the web, particularly from the R2 Builders Club.

Unfortunately, the parts weren't easily found, at least in Italy, so I always posponed my intents to build this robot...

In 2014 I bought my 3D printer (another of my dreams) and it was a great purchase. With a 3D printer what you can create is limited just by your fantasy, but I never thought about using it to print a droid, until now!

Few months ago I found mr Michael Baddeley and his incredible work. He created all the parts to 3D print a full scale R2D2 with an high level of detail. Of course you need a lot of post processing work to make it really nice, but it worth the job.

Now there is also a community about 3D printing R2D2: 3D Printer Droids.

I decided to make a blog to show my progress in building an Astromech, but please note that it will probably be a LONG work.

One small note about the blog name... As I am working a lot with Raspberry Pi boards, I decided to use them to control my robot at the end, so instead of an R2D2 I will have an R(pi)2D2. Sorry for the pun!

Hope you will enjoy looking at my progresses as much as I will enjoy this adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment